Sunday, September 6, 2015

GAZ GL-1

From one of my other blogs, VreMax, where I reported on this car exhibition that I visited a year ago - in August of 2014.  


Entering the exhibition.



GAZ GL-1, a sports car.


Truth to tell, I was a bit wary of this thing at the time, in terms of authenticity, as I mentioned on my other blog.

I thought it was obviously heavily restored and the line between restoration and replication was a bit blurred here.

And turns out I was completely right. It is in fact a replica built in 2010.

The original GAZ GL-1 car in its second version (as shown here) was completed on September 22, 1940 and became the fastest car in the Soviet Union.

It set an All-Union speed record of 161.9 kph. during its speed trials.

Then the GL-1 was destroyed in unclear circumstances.

According to one story it was cut up into pieces at the factory, while another version claims that it was destroyed during a WW2 bombing of the GAZ factory.


A 2010 replica of the GAZ GL-1 in my 2014 photos.


And the real thing in period photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment

REDBUBBLE SHOP